Saturday, March 3, 2012

Television Shows on VHS

As I'm sure many of you are aware of by now, there has been a bit of a VHS resurgences in recent years. . .

Tapes of movies that have never gotten a proper DVD release can still earn a seller good money on Ebay/second hand markets and there's also some companies even going as far as releasing newer movies on VHS as a limited edition!

Even though I still consider VHS to be a dead format I still try my hardest to incorporate at least one tape into the monthly Shit Movie Fest Parties.

But one thing that is VHS related that I can't bring myself to feel nostalgia for is television shows on tape!

Now while I do remember having tapes of "Tales From The Crypt", "Kolchak: The Night Stalker", Nick's "Are You Afraid of the Dark" and the T.M.N.T. cartoon (and enjoyed watching them over and over again). There are a few problems I remember when looking back at these tapes! For one, the amount of room you'd needed to store most of these shows was crazy if you had a complete set ?Heck just look at the size of these "Highlander: The Series" box sets, lol.


You'd need a second house just to store full sets of say "M.A.S.H." or "Bonanza"! And besides the amount of space you save on the shows being on DVD I ask was there ever a bigger ripoff than these things? Most shows would run you about $19.95 a pop for a tape with only one or two episodes on it. Nowadays you can buy a complete season of a show for less than that. Now you can get all 144 episodes of "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" on DVD for less then $100 OR you could have gotten those tapes that featured 2 episodes (out of order no less) for for $12.99 a piece !


Now, while sometimes I regret buying shows on DVD also for reason ranging from getting bored from watching them after a couple times, to when a company only puts out the first season or two and not the rest, but at least DVDs are pretty cheap and don't take up a lot of space in my room!


I own the complete series of some shows and I do actually re-watch them (every now and then). Those are "The Sopranos" "Dexter", "OZ", Tales From The Crypt", "Freaks and Geeks", "Undeclared", "Arrested Development", "The Simpsons", "Daria","Nip/Tuck", "Mr Show" and certain seasons of "South Park".
But I sorta stopped buying TV shows as often now and just wait till the show's run is over to just get the one big box set that usually comes out soon afterwards. Hence no seasons of "The Office", "How I Meet Your Mother" or "The Vampire Dairies"

What are some shows you remember owning back in the day? And do you buy shows on DVD now or just stick with watching them via Netflix or HULU?




 - Tom Bryce

2 comments:

  1. I was trying to find a decent cover of the Freaks and geeks dvd, and I came across this pictures.
    my god, I want to marry you.
    I live in Argentina, and shipping is way to expensive for me to pay, so I made a homemade dvd boxset of Freaks and Geeks and I was very happy until I found this. and you also have the original Undeclared boxset? (and Reno 911!, It's always sunny, Seinfeld and Arrested development) this is awesome.
    that's it, I just wanted to congratulate you for this amazing collection.
    Sofía.

    ReplyDelete