Sunday, February 5, 2012

Something Wicked (Magazine) This Way Comes . . .

Here is a long defunct horror magazine that gets little to no love. It is pretty much forgotten by people I talk to. The magazine's name was "Wicked" and it was a spinoff/sister magazine to Cinescape (who is also no longer in the game).


Wicked was first published in 1999 and since I wasn't aware of Rue Morgue yet Wicked served as a nice alternative to Fangoria. The first issue featured a cover story on "Scream 3". There was also a different cover featuring Johnny Depp and Sleepy Hollow. Inside there was an article on USA's criminally underrated TV show "G vs. E" and a list of the '50 Greatest Horror Movies Of All Time' (N.O.T.L.D. took the #1 Spot). At 82 pages Wicked was a well put together product and still is (I just reread it for this blog post).

Issue #1

The next issue had an exclusive set visit for the film "Jason X". I remember reading that issue and getting super excited for the movie, only to wait an additional 2 years for the film to finally come out!

I think Jason X was worth the wait. I actually love "Jason In Space" very much.

The covers to the other 4 issue that I have:




I am not sure if there was any issues after those 4, but I did a google search on "Wicked Magazine" and there doesn't seem to be much information out there. Like I said, this magazine is all but forgotten, which is a shame because it was a pretty damn good read and should have had a bigger audience. The book really reminds me of what Rue Morgue has become today. There was a lot of articles covering every aspect of Horror . . . Movies, Books, Games, Music, Etc.

Also there were some good recurring features, like a monthly rant from Bruce Campbell:

After the magazine stopped showing up on shelves Cinescape gave it one more go at trying to capitalize on the horror market by releasing this 'A-Z Guide to Halloween Horror' which was actually pretty good and worth hunting down on Ebay.

I leave you with this, the subscription ordering forum to the very short lived Wicked. 

I wonder what you got in return when it was shit-canned? More than likely Cinescape's official Buffy or X-Files Magazine, lol




- Tom Bryce

4 comments:

  1. The design of these covers are GREAT! I just question the choice of films they decided to feature on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, they should have put "American Psycho" or "Stir of Echos" on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone know the name of the font on the cover?

    There were six issues, all very beautiful and good, they should make a try at a comeback though the horror movies today aren't so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about what font type was used but it's nice to see there are other fans out there

      Delete