Wednesday, February 29, 2012

15 Of My Favorite Songs Featured In Horror and Cult Movies


I have always had a huge love for movie soundtracks. When the right song is used in a particular scene it can make both the scene and song iconic forever. Think about it, what is "Reservoir Dogs" without "Stuck In The Middle With You" or "GoodFellas" without "Layla" playing during the death montage? Sure those movies would still be considered classics, but you have to admit they were enhanced tenfold by the music's presence!

So I started thinking about how music has affected some of my favorite horror or cult movies and could I come up with a list of my 10 Favorite songs in that genre . . .

Narrowing down the list was a lot harder than I thought so instead of 10 I had to go with 15. To make it easier on myself I decided only to include songs that were either written for the movie they appeared in or if the song came out around the same time period (and was used for that reason). So while I love the music choices Rob Zombie included in his films or when a movie uses a classic song to set a tone such as "Mr. Sandman" in the Halloween series, I didn't incorporate them into this list. Maybe that's something I will work on as a follow up!

A youtube video is included for each song and as always feedback is welcomed, either at the blog or the SMF Facebook page . . . Anyway here goes :)

15: Bable ~ "The Howling"
The song as heard in the Howling 2: Stirba - Werewolf Bitch. Like the movie, Bable's song is a total cheesefest . . . but since they play it about 10 times throughout the film you can't help but get it stuck in your head!


14: Hole ~ "Gold Dust Woman"
This cover of the Fleetwood Mac tune was featured in the second Crow movie "The Crow: City of Angels", I always had a strong dislike for that movie, but damn if it isn't one of the best soundtracks of all time. Of all the songs on it, this song stands out the most for me. it was my introduction to Fleetwood, a band I really enjoy and more than likely would have never gave a chance if it wasn't for Miss Love . . .


13: The Fly's ~ "Got You Where I Want You"
Heard at the end of the very underrated teen, sci-fi flick "Disturbing Behavior". The Fly's song is a very catchy 90s tune and I'm not ashamed to admit my love for it. Than again it doesn't hurt to have a pre-Stepford Wive's Katie Holmes in the video. Man she was so HOT in this!


12: John Hiatt ~ "Spy Boy"
This song comes from the Al Pacino film "Cruising". Even though that movie is about a Cop going undercover to try and catch a Gay Serial Killer, the music in the movie is totally not what you would expect. Sure there's some late 70's era Disco, but there is also a great deal of Early Punk and Glam Rock tunes in it. With each song sounding very Sinister like. "Spy Boy" is the best of the lot i.m.o, but also check out Rough Trade's "Shakedown"


11: Pseudo Echo ~ "His Eyes"
The song "His Eyes" and the line "This shit box is gross!" are all that I choose to remember from "Friday the 13: Part 5"


10: Gerard McMann ~ "Cry Little Sister"
From the 80s vampire classic "The Lost Boys". There are so many awesome songs in this movie; from the Door's "People Are Strange" cover by Echo and the Bunny Men to the HHH looking Dude playing "I Still Believe" on sax. But for me the one that sets the tone best is "Cry Little Sister". It still gives me goosebumps whenever I watch the film!


09: Marianne Faithfull ~ "Love Hates"
"Love Hates" comes from the early James Spader gem "Tuff Turf". The song is featured in the opening credit scene. Never has riding a 10 speed bike looked more Badass (Sorry "Rad") Besides being an all around fun trashy movie, Turf also features an awesome amount of live performances by Jim Carroll the writer of "The Basketball Diaries" and singer of the Classic "People Who Died".  Oh and I think that it's worth noting that Robert Downey Jr plays drums for his band in the movie!


08: Ramones ~ "Pet Sematary"
I love just about every song this band has put out. While 98% of them were fast paced punk rock songs, Sematary i think really showed that they could actually sing quite well when they wanted too. The lyrics are also perhaps their catchiest to boot!


07: David Bowie ~ "Cat People" (Putting Out Fires)
Although this song is originally from 1982's "Cat People" it wasn't until Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards that I really started to appreciate it. Now I include it as one of my favorite Bowie songs, but that's a list for another time :)


06: The Dickies ~ "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" 
The main theme to one of the all time best Horror Comedies. It's so silly yet so clever! I still can't believe these guys didn't become huge back in the day!


05: Dokken ~ "Dream Warriors"
It's no secret by now that "A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors" is my favorite Horror Film. I love all the Freddy one-lines, his kills, and of course the title song by Dokken! Now, while I also liked their song "In To The Fire" that plays in the opening of the film, it's the song Dream Warriors that I think of right away when the movie is brought up in conversations.


04: Wings Hauser ~ "Neon Slime"
The movie "Vice Squad" is one of the sleaziest films I have ever laid eyes on, but that song sung by the lead Villain "Ramrod" (played by Hauser) is even better in my humble opinion . . . together they are a match made in Trash Cinema Heaven!


03: The Return of the Living Dead Soundtrack! 
Now this may seem like cheating, but it's impossible to pick just one song off of it to represent the film, everything is perfect! If I absolutely had to I'd say "Love Under Will" Performed by The Jet Black Berries. But you really can't go wrong with any movie that features "The Cramps", "45 Grave", and "The Dammed"


02: Dramarama ~ "Anything, Anything"
From Rick's karate workout scene in "Nightmare on Elm Street 4". I don't think there is a song in my life that I listened to more than this!
I loved everything about it from the first time I saw the movie and it became more relatable later in my life after a great relationship I had that went sour!
Oh well it's still has an awesome hook!


01: Iggy Pop ~ "Repo Man"
This is another movie where I feel the music makes the movie and much like the trouble I had with picking a song from the Return of the Living Dead sdtk, I almost ran into the same problem with "Repo Man". With songs such as Black Flag's "TV Party", Suicidal Tendencies' "Institutionalized", and Juicy Bananas' "Bad Man" . . . Iggy gets the nod here with the title track. Such a campy but wicked song and it fits the movie perfectly . . . 


Honorable Mentions:
The Demons Soundtrack, "He's Back" Alice Coopers' tribute to Jason, and of of course . . .
"Biscuits, Chicken, and Gravy" sung by Vernon in Hatchet 2!


There you have it. I hope you enjoyed my list and for a follow up I'm going to work on one that features only classic songs like I talked about earlier :)




- Tom Bryce

5 comments:

  1. GREAT list! Props for including the song from HOWLING II. I love that song and wish I could find an mp3 of it (RIP Megaupload).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aaron, I was just watching that movie for the first time in a long while and was one of the main reason for compiling this list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As it was pointed out by my friend Chris Ott on the Facebook Page I missed "Goodbye Horses" by Q Lazzarus!
    I might have to add that in somewhere cause I can't believe I missed that one lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Repo Man soundtrack is Top 3 of all time, whether it's horror, cult, musical, whatever. And Iggy's song is the tone setter of the whole thing. Great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for providing fantastic Episodes.For more..
    Featured episodes online

    ReplyDelete