Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Recesses of Rural Pennsylvania: The Farmhouse


My day job affords me a few perks. Aside from the ant hills of cocaine, stacks of 5 dollar bills and husky hoes, working as a Locations Scout in Film and Television allows me to run around the state of Pennsylvania, trespassing of people's private property, snooping, taking photos and yelling at the owners for "not having a spot for the Honey Wagon". One particular high profile project had myself and other scouts traveling through the rural towns and woods of PA looking for hidden homes. They needed to meet very specific script requirements so, I spent a month driving up and down muddy roads and windy paths searching for the perfect house. Sometimes you would find a property that matched, but usually you found nothing. Every time I saw an interesting or peculiar property I would photograph it. You would spot a narrow driveway off a tiny road and decide to take it, just to see where it leads. As you rolled further and further into the woods second thoughts always creeped into your head, but then you would see the ruins of an abandoned convent, farmhouse or hospital; falling apart, retaken by the woods. You would sit there speechless until you realized you had a camera and you should start shooting some of that shit.

After about a month on that specific project we got the news that the film was leaving our state, packing up and moving to cheaper pastures. This happens more times than anyone would like to admit in the new cutthroat game of tax incentives and production lobbying. Because of that reason I really shouldn't divulge the name of the studio or even the name of the film as to not cast a negative light on what I'm sure will be another Hollywood blockbuster. What I was left with was a travelogue of some of the strangest and eeriest recesses in Eastern Pennsylvania and I would like to share them with all of you. So, here is a new segment on the SMF blog dedicated to what you don't see on your sunny drive to the state park or picnic ground. These properties sit just off the road, nestled nicely between quiet woodlands and our nightmares.

Enjoy.

For the first entry I would like to show you a Colonial Stone Farmhouse located near Cheyney Pennsylvania. This property was built in the 1600s.

No trespassing? Pshaw!


What do I see?


Oh' just the creepiest farmhouse in the world.


Reasons for being boarded up: Fire? Excessive Storm Damage? Demonic Vortex?


Only an idiot would go in there.


Hey, its pretty nice in here.


This shot was taken just before I almost fell through the floor. 'SMRT'


The back of the barn is 'nice'.


I think I'll go back to my car now.


The area around the farmhouse was actually very serene, but sometimes there is such a thing as too quiet.

The End
Chris_Gormley

2 comments:

  1. Chris, this was a great idea for a posting and I hope to see more of this sorta thing here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, next is an abandoned Old Folks Home/Hospital near Downingtown.

    ReplyDelete