Sunday, January 29, 2012

90s Wrestling Toys (Part 1 of 2): WWF Hasbro Line

Since today marks the ‪25th Anniversary of the WWF Royal Rumble, which I am going to watch later tonight with Chris and Tom K. ‬I thought that it was only fitting to do a wrestling related post today on the blog. I've been a fan of wrestling since my early childhood. I still watch the current shows, but yearn for the classic stuff from the mid 80s and early 90s. There's nothing that reminds me more of that particular era of wrestling than the toys that were made by Hasbro for the WWF and Galoob for the WCW.


With these toys I was able to recreate the matches I saw on TV, but also create my own matches and story lines. You know, ones where guys like Hulk Hogan could lose and a guy like Mr. Perfect could be World Champion. I would play with these toys for hours on end, and as you will be able to tell from the pics below these guys went through some real wars in the ring! This is going to be a two part blog post focusing on the guys I had in my collection.

Today will be strictly the WWF Hasbro figures made from 1990 to 1994. Tomorrow's post will feature the WCW guys that Galoob put out, the WWF 'Bend-Em' line, and also some custom Hasbro toys I picked up on Ebay over the years. I don't have the full set and skipped out on having the repaints on 3 different Hogans, 3 different Warriors, etc. And besides Adam Bomb and Ludwig Borga I was never able to find the "Green Card" series in stores when I was a kid. Guys like the Smoking Guns and the 1-2-3 Kid go for $80+ on Ebay. So Fuck That Noise!

Anyway, Let's Get Ready to Rumble . . .

From Series 1 (1990)
Hulk Hogan, Andre The Giant, Randy Savage, and the Ultimate Warrior


Smash, Ax, Akeem, and The Big Bossman


Rick Rude, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, "Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase, and Brutus "The Barber" Beffcake


Series 2 (1991) 
Ultimate Warrior, "Macho King" Randy Savage, Honky Tonk Man, and "HackSaw" Jim Duggan


"SuperFly", Dusty Rhodes, and Rowdy Roddy Piper


Luke, Butch, Crush, Shawn Michaels, and Marty Jannetty


Series 2 (1992)
Typhoon, Brutus Beefcake, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, and Earthquake


Koko Beware, Texas Tornado, and Mr. Perfect


Big Bossman (Skinny Bossman) and Sgt. Slaughter


Series 4 (1992)
Bret "The Hitman" Hart, The Undertaker, The British Bulldog, and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat


Hawk, Knobbs, Sags, and Animal 


Series 5 (1993)
Jim "The Anvil" Niedhart, Sid, and Virgil


Skinner, I.R.S., Warlord, and The Mountie 


Series 6 (1993)
Papa Shango, Bezerker, and RepoMan


Rick "The Model" Martel, Tatanka, and El Matador


Series 7 (1993)
Owen Hart, Crush, Nailz, Razor Ramon, Kamala


Series 8 & 9 (1994)
Yokozuna, Bam Bam Bigelow, Ted Dibiase, and Doink The Clown


Series 10 & 11 (1994)
Samu, Giant  Gonzales, and Fatu


Shawn Michaels, Ludwig Borga, Adam Bomb, and Marty Jannetty


Well, that's all for now. I hope you have enjoyed this feature so far and tomorrow I will have part 2. Wait to you see some of the weird custom figures I have acquired over the years!
                                       ( Go Here For Part 2! )




 Tom Bryce

2 comments:

  1. I love the poses and angles of these shots. Total "Pose Off"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think SuperFly Jimmy is winning the Staredown Contest lol

    ReplyDelete