Monday, January 30, 2012

90s Wrestling Toys (Part 2 of 2): WCW Galoob Line/ WWF Hasbro Customs

Here is the second part of my 90s wrestling toy post. YESTERDAY I focused just on the famed Hasbro line. Today, I am going to post pics of Galoob's WCW's line which was their counterpart at the time. Also, the WWF Bend'em line that started coming out after the deal with Hasbro ended and some of the Custom Figures I picked up over the years.


While the WCW Galoob Line was only around from 1990 - 1991 the figures they released from that time period trumped the more cartoonish Hasbro figures. Galoob captured the likenesses of the wrestlers better and the fact that each guy came with a Championship Belt was a plus. The only downside was they didn't move! All the Hasbro figures had a special action 'feature' move or had the the ability to move their legs and arms, but the WCW toys were stuck in a ridiculous pose. Poses that made it impossible to have good matches with This shit mattered a lot to me when I was 8 - 11. There were 12 wrestlers released in the U.S. Those same guys were produced in the U.K. with a different paint paint scheme along with some exclusive figures (El Gigante, Big Josh, Dustin Rhodes, Michael Hayes, and Jimmy Garvin). Of the U.K. figures I only have Hayes, but I have all 12 U.S figures:

(The Four Horsemen) Arn Anderson, Sid Vicious, Ric Flair, and  Barry Windham


Lex Luger, Sting, Scott and Rick Steiner


Brian Pillman, Michael "P.S." Hayes, Tom Zenk, and Doom's Butch Reed & Ron Simmons

Now here is the WWF Bend'em line. These figures came out around '95/'96 and went into the Attitude era of the late 90s:

Paul Bearer, UnderTaker, Vader, and Mandkind


The Patriot, Ahmed Johnson, Lex Luger, and The 1-2-3 Kid


Goldust, Yokozuna, Diesel, Sunny, and King Mabel 

Now here are some of my favorite Customs Figures I have picked up off of Ebay. What I like most about grabbing customs is it's a great way to get toys based off some of you favorite wrestlers who never had a figure produced of them. Also they go for pretty cheap. Most of these guys went for a few dollars each. Some are made better then others, but all in all it's a great way to build up your collection:

Power and Glory (Hercules & Paul Roma) 

Now, the two next to them were in a group and listed as "The Moon Dogs" but I think they resemble The Midnight Express's Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane if you ask me.


"Stone Cold" Steve Austin, and Doom's Butch Reed and Ron Simmons repainted from a pair of BushWackers.


Billy Kidman, Nikolai Volkoff, and Ken Patera


Raven, Ricky Steamboat (with  a better PaintJob), and Rey Mysterio


 Kim Chee (Kamala's handler), Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, and Haku

These are some miscellaneous figures I also have in the wrestling box:


I'm not sure who the guy on the left is, but he's the same size as the Galoob figures and on the right is a Simba wrestling figure (Euro Company) made from part of an Hasbro AX.


I would used most these guys here as Jobbers to fill out my fake wrestling matches when I was younger.


There are some T.N.M.T., Super Mario The Movie figures, a couple He-Man toys, and a Jones from Police Academy in there. Can't run a wrestling company without some enhancement talent and these guys did the JOB quite well!

BTW I only did one custom of my own. Its my extra Smash figure since I had him from Series One and got the extra with the Crush two pack. I made him into one of the two Bounty Hunters in Suburban Commando.The one NOT played by the UnderTaker. Let me find him and I'll post a pic. Beware it's pretty shitty, lol . . .

                     
Maybe I should just call him NotRepoSmashMan


Well, there you have it. Some of the best wrestling toys ever made and a group of custom guys who really deserved their Action Figure Due!




- Tom Bryce

4 comments:

  1. Lol in my Fed he was a Midcarder at best and the Footsoldier doubled as my Great Muta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure Casey Jones was World Champion at one point in my toy federation. ACE DUCK won a Royal Rumble at one point too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real Rey Jr jobbing for Fake Rey Jr? How did this slip through late 90's WCW's cracks?

    ReplyDelete