Friday, November 25, 2011

25 Of My Favorite Nontraditional X-Mas Tunes . . .


I pretty much always liked Christmas Music, but it's gotten a little harder to like in recent years since B101 starts getting played in my office from mid November to January! I feel like I hear the same 10 songs over and over again, just sang by different artists.  Oh and they also play "Christmas Shoes" once every hour!



The Horror! The Horror!

So I decided to make a list of 25 Nontraditional X-mas songs that for the most part you won't hear on the radio in heavy rotation or won't make you want to rip you hair out.


25: Walls of Voodoo ~ Shouldn't Have Given Him a Gun For Christmas
Best known for minor hit "Mexican Radio", Walls gets into the Holiday Spirit the only way they know how . . . Weird! With lyrics such as  . . .
"He put two slugs in the neighbour’s door 
And kicked apart the manger scene
The plastic Baby Jesus he blew to smithereens
I can’t think of all the nine year olds who won’t be seein’ ten
Or how he went-a caroling to the doors of now dead men!"

24: The Kinks ~ Father Christmas
                                                   Forget the toys . . . Just give us the money.  So True!

23: Max Headroom ~ Merry Christmas Santa Claus
Words Can't Describe! And does Max Headroom compare himself to Jesus in this?

22: Twisted Sister ~ Oh Come All Ye Faithful
It's a Christmas song with pretty much the same cords as "We're Not Gonna Take It" Genius!

21: The Vandals and No Doubt ~ Oi To The World

I like both the Vandal's and No Doubt's cover of "Oi To The World" a very offbeat Christmas tune.

20: They Might Be Giants ~ Santa's Beard
Speaking of Offbeat!

19: Johnny Mathis ~ Silver Bells
A True Classic, and one of the few I don't mind hearing over and over again during the season. 

18: Jose Feliciano ~ Feliz Navidad
Without a doubt one of the catchiest Xmas tunes ever!

17: Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin ~ Marshmallow World
So How trashed do you think these two were when they sung this?

16:  Bing Crosby ~ Mele Kalikimaka (The Hawaiian Christmas Song)
This one goes out to Clark W. Griswold Jr.

15: Captain Sensible ~ One Christmas Catalogue
Does it get More 80s Then This?

14: Hall and Oates ~ Jingle Bell Rock
I'm posted this mostly for the video. It's a contender for the Lamest Thing  Ever!

13: She Wants Revenge ~ Kidnap the Sandy Claws
From the Nightmare Before Christmas cover album, not as good as the song in the movie but still like it.

12: Band Aid ~ Do They Know It's Christmas
I want to hate this but just can't. Maybe it's cause it did end raising a lot of money for a good cause!

11: Spinal Tap ~ Christmas With The Devil
11 goes to Spinal Tap and Arsenio Hall!

10: Billy Squire ~ Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love I Love You
My favorite of the 80s Rock guys sing a Christmas Tune . . . Sorry Bono, Bruce, and Bon Jovi

09:  Rilo Kiely ~ Christmas Cake
Hauntly Beautiful from Miss Jenny Lewis

08: The Pogues & Kirsty McColl - Fairytale Of New York
Took me awhile to like this song but now it's one of my favorites.

07: Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band ~ X-mas at Kmart
Still waiting for the Wal-Mart follow up!

06: Run-DMC ~ Christmas in the Hollis
It's not Christmas until you blast this on your speaker, best opening beats in Christmas Song History imo.

05: Ramones ~ Merry Christmas I Don't Want to Fight Tonight
Great tune from the Ramones about what happens at most Holiday Parties  . . . Fighting!

04: Wham ~ Last Christmas
Can't help it, but I love this song! One of my best friends Jamie and I play this in the car all year long, getting strange looks by everyone we pass by lol . . .

03: The Waitresses ~ Christmas Wrapping
Another 80s Gem I hold dear to my heart!

02: Tom McRae ~ Wonderful Christmas Time
Is it just me but does this guy sounds like he's about to blow his brains out with a Shotgun?

01: Weird Al ~ Christmas At Ground Zero
Leave it to Weird Al to make the most hilariously wrong Christmas Tune Ever!


Well hope you enjoyed my list, feedback welcomed here on the blog or the Facebook page.
 And for all my friends with Retail and Office Jobs . . .
Hang in there, it will all be over in a Month!

- Tom Bryce





1 comment:

  1. "11 goes to Spinal Tap and Arsenio Hall!"
    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete